Wednesday, May 26, 2010

London Calling



Over the past few years my travel habits have changed greatly. I still pack too much and still enjoy many of the same types of sites and activities as always but when away, I have become more disconnected. It was not too long ago that I went everywhere (including vacation) with my blackberry and before that my cell phone. I was afraid to be out of contact for any amount of time and where technology has allowed me to be more in touch, it has added the burden of always being connected. I’m not sure if it’s just me getting more relaxed with age or if the culture has changed but it seems that clients and colleagues are more understanding when I am away and completely unavailable.

As mobile technology continues to mature, maybe our expectations of people’s availability are maturing as well.

Last week I was away in London and Birmingham to visit the IPEX graphic trade show and had the opportunity to spend some great time in London enjoying the city. It has always been on the top of my list of places I would like to visit and it did not disappoint. I found it to be a city of opposites – the blend of buildings hundreds of years old with the latest glass towers, the fact that everyone working in an office wears a suit and tie but it is also a very casual city. I love that it seemed so proper but at the same time so much fun and I love that every second corner has a pub that is packed at the end of the workday with regulars having a pint and conversation. That London is so pedestrian makes it work…like Manhattan, it seems to be a city of neighborhoods and I love that!

As for IPEX – it was a great show. Without doubt, the largest tradeshow I have attended and I found it to be quite overwhelming – too much information to absorb and totally exhausting. In the end however, a very worthwhile trip – it is interesting see what’s going on in our industry in different parts of the world and to talk to and learn from others experiences. For me, I find it inspires creative thought and motivates at the same time. Overall a very positive experience.

Cheers and have a great day.
George

No comments:

Post a Comment