Monday, March 29, 2010

Return to the North

I would like to begin with an apology. I usually try to write and post a blog twice a week. Some weeks this is easier then others but to date I have been faithful to the schedule. This past 2 weeks I was on holiday – a much longer vacation then I have had in many years. Usually, I go “dark” for my time away, forwarding my cell phone, rerouting my emails so they don’t forward to my blackberry and never bringing a computer. For the first time however, I brought my laptop along, intent to keep up the blog schedule. Clearly, it did not quite work out that way.

While the truth is that I did think about writing… and did actually fire up the laptop once… procrastination got the better of me. So, since it has been 2 weeks since my last post, I thought I would start with some random observations from my time in the southern U.S. (Florida to be exact).

The big political topic on everyone's mind was the new health care reform bill. In reading the papers and watching the news, it is not surprising that it’s mired in controversy. The political rhetoric and the poor and often biased reporting is nothing if not confusing. I really don’t think that anyone really understands the legislation and news outlets have done little to help the matter. Having said that, it amazes me how adamant peoples opinions are based primarily on their political leanings.

Another big topic was the weather – virtually every greeting was followed by some weather related thought. Everyone insisted it was the coldest winter on record and though it was definitely cooler then expected it was still sunny and the beaches were busy.

Speaking of sand, I have to admit that I was amazed to see a woman on the beach with a Kindle exactly as I have lamented in a previous post. She read for some time, put it in a beach bag, then proceeded to toss it onto a chair while she toddled off for a swim. And here I thought sand and electronics didn't mix. I have trouble keeping my paperback sand free.

I am not sure how some of the retailers in Florida exist. I was in a store where the prices were already marked down 40 – 50%. Most of the items had signs advertising an additional 40% off the lowest marked price and when we walked in the store, we were handed an additional 20% off voucher valid for one day only. This made a $70 item $20.

I have celebrated my share of St. Patrick’s Days over the years. Toronto has some great parties. A few years ago we ended up in Savannah Georgia for the parade and I was informed that it was the largest annual St. Patty’s celebration in the U.S. (not Boston or Chicago?). Quite a party for sure. For the past 2 years, we have found ourselves in Key West Florida. Far be it from me to compare but I think you’d be hard pressed to find a better celebration (although it is tough to find a good Guinness pour in South Florida). It was ironic however, that we spent a good part of the day in an Irish pub listening to a band from Toronto.

Lastly, March Madness is everywhere. I am not a big NBA fan but I do love the NCAA Tournament. I am sad to say that as we look forward to Final Four weekend my pool results were a personal worst. I am officially out with none of my final four (Tennessee, Syracuse, Kentucky or Villanova) still playing.
Cheers and have a great day.
George

No comments:

Post a Comment