Thursday, March 4, 2010

Facebook Newbie

Finally, after weeks and perhaps months of procrastinating, today I joined Facebook! My first 'friend post' suggested, “Hell had finally frozen over”. In fairness, I have been ignoring invitations to join for some time for no other reason then it just seemed like another thing to update, another thing to check.
Of course, my little social media experiment could never be complete without Facebook but, as mentioned in previous postings, time is the big issue. Between this blog, my twitter account and followings, hundreds of emails, texts and PINs every day I might be running out of time to do my job! I guess it is time to start exploring some of these other programs – there must be one built to consolidate the messaging. Well, we will see how this all works out but it leads me to wonder how many of the reported hundreds of millions of Facebook and Twitter users are active and how many grew bored and simply abandoned accounts without deleting them from the system.
In the meantime, some news items continue to amuse me. I read a Paid Content article recently that reported several large magazine publishers (the same ones who have been selling their online content) are launching an ad campaign aimed at getting more readers to buy the printed versions. One ad proclaims, “The Internet is fleeting. Magazines are immersive”. And so the wheel continues to turn. That I happen to love printed magazines aside, I think the line is terrific! The article suggests a potential conflict between the publishers and their digital units but there is an old saying “everything old is new again”. I believe the origin was meant for fashion but could printed magazines be the next nouveau frontier? Again I might suggest that it’s a lot easier to toss a magazine or paperback on my beach chair then risk getting sand or water in my IPad.
Cheers and have a great day.
George
P.S. I should update on the sailing blog I have been following. Our young Aussie sailor recently passed the southern tip of Africa (Cape of Good Hope or as Jessica points out actually Cape Agulhas) and is headed towards Madagascar on the last leg of her round the globe journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment