Monday, March 8, 2010

Recap Regroup, Reload

For anyone reading this blog for the first time, I should point out that it was originally meant to be a chronicle of my experience investigating how various forms of social media could be used as a business tool (I know - it sounds really boring). I have strayed off course a bit as I have read and learned and weighed out the differences between traditional communication vehicles and the latest in electronic communications. It has also morphed into part social commentary, news of the day that I find interesting and a kind of overview of the current state of print. I hope it has been at least somewhat interesting. Personally, I have learned a great deal and continue to push forward.

To be completely honest however, I have participated in the social media arena mostly from the sidelines – mostly an observer and contributing little. This is part a result of having little experience and part concern that anyone would be interested to hear what I have to say.

As I continue, I do know that there is a lot more to learn and know. As it is still the Wild West when it comes to on line content and analytics, it is hard to measure real value. As a colleague said recently, there is a great deal of information available about who's looking at what but still no clear line between hits and sales.

I have recently opened a Facebook account - which is still odd to me as did Twitter when I first started. I think that I now understand Twitter and have found it to be a great resource tool. I have read more great articles that I never would have seen if someone I follow hadn’t retweeted the links. I am still not sold on the minute by minute type updates from people but I will keep an open mind.

Importantly for me, I have also learned that print is still alive and, while it is critical that traditional media companies change and embrace the newest technologies, there is a case to be made that print is “the new black”. Ok – so that may be an exaggeration but there is clearly a need to blend the new with the old in order to have a complete strategy.

I was forwarded this link for an ADDY Awards promo recently… I thought it was an appropriate (and funny) ending to this post.

Cheers and have a great day.
George

No comments:

Post a Comment