Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Well – back to work. I think the long weekend has messed up my schedule completely. Having said that, it’s nice to have a holiday Monday in the middle of winter.

Like many Canadians, I spent a fair amount of time this past weekend watching the wall-to-wall Olympic coverage. Some parts were exciting and fun, others I found to be tedious and overplayed. I won't comment on the opening ceremonies except to say that it might have been a good thing that they did not try the hologram that was predicted.

As for some of the other technology that was promised, I particularly enjoyed the effect where they superimposed two skiers on the hill at the same time to show the differences in technique and speed and the GE segments on how the entire body reacts to the physical stresses of various events. I have seen the luge and the mogul skiing breakdowns – both fantastic.
The other technology (at least for me) is watching all the coverage in HD – it has been amazing and I suspect that for many events, it’s the best way to see them. I read recently that Sony has been demonstrating a 3D/ HD television.
Will that be the way we watch the next winter games? With the popularity of Avatar (in Imax 3D) and all the 3D animated movies, it seems inevitable that the 3D technology will invade our homes.

I have a question about how this technology might impact internet television versus the traditional network programming that we are accustomed to receiving. I know many people that only watch programs available on their computers but as streaming programs become more available, will there be a bandwidth issue in our homes? I am no expert but I know that we have continually added bandwidth to our company’s service to accommodate increased file size. It only follows that we may need more at home?
Have a great day!
Cheers,
George

1 comment:

  1. Re Bandwidth - I never thought about this until this week when I received our internet bill. Since Kyle finished school a few weeks ago, he has been watching movies/shows regularly on-line. We actually went 35GB over our 75GB monthly max and were charged an exorbitant amount for it! Needless to say he will be scaling that back in a big way, however it was my first glimpse that we may need more bandwidth at home. (4 people/4 computers....)

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete