Thursday, January 7, 2010

Tech Time

With the new year comes a new season … CES season. CES (Consumer Electronic Show)
is the annual gathering of all things techie in Vegas. Several years ago, I happened to be in Vegas for a convention that coincided with CES and one afternoon found myself wandering through this enormous tech jungle. It is difficult to describe how big this event was except to tell you that as a small part of the show they had 2 massive tents (larger then football fields) that were exclusively showing car speakers!
When I was there, digital cameras were the newest technology, and “i” anything was not even thought of.
I spent some time looking at some of the CES product launches and continue to read about “tablets” (which seems to be the next wave in the tech craze). Amongst all this gadgetry, I have come to the conclusion that I must be missing something. A few years ago the buzz word was convergence. What happened?
I am clearly not an expert but here’s what I know… or at least think that I know…
• Most people use their computers for a few simple tasks. We all use MS Office (or some variation) for word processing, spreadsheets, etc.
• We all use a web browser and most people use some kind of calendar / day timer program that in many cases is linked to some kind of smart phone.
• Every program I use on a daily basis is also available in a mobile format.
• At work, I have a laptop, at home I have a desktop and mostly I use these because the screen in larger and it’s easier to type on the keyboard.
• For me, content space on my hard drive is used principally for music and photos.
• The latest iPhone has 32GB of storage and Apple now has a combo Wi-Fi base station with 2TB of wireless storage.

So my question is this: Would it not be possible to have a mobile device with an office and home dock connected wirelessly to a base station with a larger screen (perhaps a tablet) and keyboard? I think that the total cost would be less then a good laptop and everything would just be simpler. I could walk in, dock my smart phone and work seamlessly using the larger keyboard and screen.
What am I missing?

Cheers and have a great day.
George

No comments:

Post a Comment