Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Lost Generation

I will start today by admitting that this post is a bit off topic. Having said that, I think the content is topical. Of all the uses of social media, the simple importance of it is the increased ability to communicate thoughts and ideas and broadcast to a larger audience then ever. Perhaps this notion is a bit simple but the world (be it old or new) is clearly not always measured by advertising revenues or sales volumes.

Monday morning I was driving to an appointment and caught the last minute or so of a radio talk show dealing with the current crisis in Haiti. While we are all familiar with the recent events the discussion finished with a thought about the faith of the Haitian people. I am not a strongly religious person but it made me wonder – with all the tragedy that this tiny country has seen over the years, the disease, poverty, natural disasters and cruel dictators, I wonder if a person would find comfort and strength in their faith or would they begin to question their it. I certainly don’t presume to know the answer.
Interestingly, when I got back to the office, an email from a friend was waiting for me. It was not a comment on faith but somehow I felt the two thoughts were somehow connected. Below is the text and link. Before you watch it is important to read the text:

A Lost Generation?

A palindrome reads the same backwards as forward. This video reads the exact opposite backwards as forward. Not only does it read the opposite, the meaning is the exact opposite.

This is only a 1 minute, 44 second video and it is brilliant. Make sure you read as well as listen forward and backward.

This is a video that was submitted in a contest by a 20-year old. The contest was titled "u @ 50" by AARP. This video won second place. When they showed it, everyone in the room was awe-struck and broke into spontaneous applause. So simple and yet so brilliant.

Lost Generation

This is likely something I would never have seen without YouTube.
Cheers and have a great day,
George

No comments:

Post a Comment