Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Brownfields

About 5 years ago, I became very interested in environmental issues particularly as they pertained to industry. I did a great deal of reading on the subject and as a company we embarked on a program of evaluation and change. In the end, I think we have done most everything possible to ensure that we are as environmentally responsible as possible. This has included a laundry list of significant changes including the soon to be installation of 4 windmills at our main plant – a process that has taken more then 2 years to source the right equipment and get necessary approvals. After a great many delays it should be completed in the next few weeks.
Funny thing is that I continue to read a great deal about environmental issues and the politics that surround them. One of my first personal conclusions related to “Offset Credits” which I view as simply paying a fine to allow your company to pollute. Our windmills are an attempt to make a difference directly.
Related, as I mentioned in my last post, I have recently become interested in a 75 acre parcel of land on the far west side of the Village of Port Credit where we live. The land is considered a “Brownfield site” – which, according to the US Environmental Protection Agency “means real property, the expansion, redevelopment, or reuse of which may be complicated by the presence or potential presence of a hazardous substance, pollutant, or contaminant.” It does not include heavily polluted or severely contaminated with hazardous waste.
Its property that has been polluted enough that the potential environmental liability cost is higher then the potential value of the land!

According to the information I read, there are some 30,000 Brownfield sites in Canada and range from abandoned gas stations to dry-cleaning sites. The property I am referring to was a Texaco refinery until sometime in the mid 1980’s and has been vacant ever since. Presently, Imperial Oil owns the property and though it appears that there have been many meetings, discussions and documents written on the remediation of the land, nothing has been successful.

As a follow up to the BP oil disaster in the Gulf of Mexico, I read an interesting HBR article that clearly paints BP as villains in this tragedy.

Cheers and have a great day.
George

No comments:

Post a Comment